On 2013-07-23, at 08:53, Skip Robinson wrote:

> I understand the appeal of the quick-and-dirty download-and-go approach,
> particularly for a consultant brought to town for a product install. It's
> fast, it's tidy, and it's over before the smoke clears. Then bye-bye to
> Ms. C, who moves on to the next town in dire need of a competent sheriff.
> But life goes on in each town. Next month or next year, some fix or
> enhancement is required. Who will do that and how? Who will know--or
> remember--exactly what state the product was left in after the last
> dust-up?

And if Ms. C were to oblige the customer and perform an installation
with SMP/E, she'd have to be granted the special privileges now
needed for SMP/E, over and above the authority to modify the data
sets actually needed for the product.  Will auditors be entirely
happy with that?

Grrr.  I suppose Ms. C can back-seat drive for a member of the
systems staff with suitable privileges.

-- gil