On 2013-07-23, at 07:55, Joel C. Ewing wrote:

> Your "no interaction between the product and any other component"
> implicitly includes it, but perhaps it should be explicitly stated that
> this means the non-SMP/E product, or a product with its own SMP/E zones,
> may not require the installation of any elements in libraries "owned" by
> any other product or SMP/E zone.  While it is acceptable to have a
> non-owning product or zone reference and use elements in a library
> associated with some other SMP/E zone, it should be mandatory that only
> one zone "owns" any given library and FMIDs in that zone own all
> elements in the library.  You can get away with violating that rule if
> the element names are still all unique, but it is a bad idea to do so.
> And, so that one SMP/E zone always knowns the state of all elements in
> an owned library, any local customization to a product maintained by
> SMP/E should either be applied via USERMOD or to separate non-SMP/E
> local libraries.

This may preclude common subroutine libraries, such that,
e.g. every product that uses the atanh() function must deliver
its own instance of atanh.  I'm not entirely comfortable with
that.

> On 07/23/2013 07:32 AM, R.S. wrote:
>>
>> 4. Job samples with REGION=4M at IEFBR14 step as well as at GIMSMP step.
>> In first case it's only funny, for the second one itwon't work.

Never tested?  A conscientious vendor ought to require that
the test team install the product with the same tools provided
to the customer rather than testing from libraries slipped
under-the-table.  And that any additional tools the test team
uses to facilitate installation be likewise made available to
the customer.  Samples shouldn't be mere suggestions.

>> 12. No consistent (included in SMP/E) way for samples customization. I
>> mean HLQs, dzone, tzone, etc.

Outside SMP/E this could be much facilitated by the z/OS 2.1
ability to perform symbol substitution in SYSIN data sets.
When 2.1 can be considered available to all customers.

If it were up to me, I'd supply all samples to be installed
in a UNIX directory, with single script, mostly "sed" to
tailor individual sample jobs, nondestructively, and to
submit them via the z/OS UNIX "submit" command.  But I know
the customer base.  Wouldn't fly except for a few of John M's
ilk.

And I'd always be fearful of customer JCL exits that would
prohibit or override options in my most carefully considered
and tested JCL samples.

-- gil