In z/OS 2.1 support was added for the "Integrated 3270" (i.e. a 3278-4 window
on the HMC), it is supported both during NIP and as a "normal" system console.
The "Integrated 3270" must be activated on an LPAR by LPAR basis, if the
activation is performed before the z/OS IPL then z/OS will "find" it and will
prefer it.  If you want to allow the use of it after NIP it needs to be defined
in the CONSOLxx member.

The "Integrated 3270" is not channel attached and is therefore not subject to
the "clearing problem" (resulting from the reset that Jim Mulder described) and
as an added "bonus" (I believe it's true) that NIP will prefer the "integrated
3270" over any NIP definition contained in the IODF.  (I personally view this
behavior is an advantage, if you asked for the "Integrated 3270" (by activating
it) then it should be used.)  Note: I do not have access to a system to verify
this preference in NIP.

As an aside the "Integrated 3270" is also virtualized in z/VM (Command: CP SET
TERM SYS3270), unfortunately there is a similar loss of messages (caused by CP
clearing the screen to display the wait state PSW) that will occur.  Of course,
when running under VM the simplest approach is to simply define your virtual
machine CONSOLE at whatever (virtual) address is defined in your (IODF) NIP
console list.  The system reset that Jim Mulder described will not disturb the
messages on your (virtual) NIP console :-)

John McDowell