> In z/OS 2.1 support was added for the "Integrated 3270" (i.e. a
> 3278-4 window on the HMC), it is supported both during NIP and as a
> "normal" system console.  The "Integrated 3270" must be activated on
> an LPAR by LPAR basis, if the activation is performed before the z/
> OS IPL then z/OS will "find" it and will prefer it.  If you want to
> allow the use of it after NIP it needs to be defined in the CONSOLxx
member.

> The "Integrated 3270" is not channel attached and is therefore not
> subject to the "clearing problem" (resulting from the reset that Jim
> Mulder described) and as an added "bonus" (I believe it's true) that
> NIP will prefer the "integrated 3270" over any NIP definition
> contained in the IODF.  (I personally view this behavior is an
> advantage, if you asked for the "Integrated 3270" (by activating it)
> then it should be used.)  Note: I do not have access to a system to
> verify this preference in NIP.

  According the comments in the module which does NIP console
selection in z/OS 2.1, the preference order is:

Determine if the Integrated 3270 Console (a.k.a. the HMCS
console which is on the HMC) is attached to our system.
If so, we will use it to IPL the system.

If no HMCS console, select the NIP console from the
NIP Console Records (NCRs) in the IODF.

Verify the consoles in the order that the NCRs exist in
the IODF searching for the first valid console.

If no valid NIP console has been found, we will use the
system console (a.k.a. Opeating System Messages on the HMC)
to IPL the system.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY