I agree that the inability to share the "Integrated 3270" among multiple
concurrent sessions is unfortunate and that it would be a useful enhancement to
list that restriction.  Off the top of my head I can see that the "ownership"
of the keyboard will need to be resolved in some way, that is only one session
should be allowed to provide keyboard inputs (i.e. cursor movement, attention
keys, etc.).  Otherwise each session could be "fighting" with the other about
what is being done :-(  I don't think this problem is insurmountable and in
fact I can think of a couple of different design approaches that could be used
to solve it.  Anyone who has used one of the Windows based conferencing tools
has seen how this can be resolved.

Irregardless of the aforementioned restriction the use case of an
Operator/Sysprog performing an IPL and wanting to be able to see whatever
messages might be produced without worrying about "losing" them (to a reset
resulting from a disabled wait state being loaded) is best served by using the
"Integrated 3270".  And because of the designed "preference order" (thank you
Rick) that Jim Mulder has confirmed (thank you Jim) it is as simple as
activating the "Integrated 3270" before the Load (IPL) is performed.  No need
to change the IODF (to remove any NIP consoles), the presence (or absence) of
NIP consoles in the IODF does not make any difference, the "Integrated 3270"
will be used (for NIP in z/OS 2.1) if it is active.  Testing/backoff is simply
a matter of acvtivating/deactivating (at the HMC) before you Load/IPL nothing
else need be done, try it you'll like it :-)

In the interest of full disclosure I will mention that there are some
differences in the use of the "Integrated 3270" as a result of the keyboard
mapping.  I don't remember the specific details (and I don't have access to a
system to confirm them) but my memory is that certain 3270 keys (e..g Clear,
PA1, PA2, etc.) not found on "modern" keyboards require multiple keyboard
inputs.  The good news is that for simple text input and the Enter key life is
simple :-) and the other good news is those two functions (combined with the
text display) is all you really need to effectively use a z/OS console (both
during NIP and beyond) :-)

John McDowell