The difference is that TSO (and ISPF) runs in problem state and the jobstep is
unauthorized.

In batch, when executing a program linked AC(1) that comes from a valid APF
authorized library, then the entire jobstep is considered authorized.

TSO must jump through a few hoops to attempt to provide a safe way of invoking
the authorized program - this involves having a parallel authorized jobstep TMP
task and suspending all TCBs on the non-authorized "leg" while the authorized
code is executing.

Hence the various tables in TSO (and ISPF) to define these special circumstance
commands (or programs) that can run authorized.

Throw into the ring, the confusion that can occur with TSOLIB and ISPLLIB (and
STEPLIB) - it can get messy to code applications and debug problems in this
area - especially when your code is running on other people's systems.

Rob Scott
Lead Developer
Rocket Software
77 Fourth Avenue . Suite 100 . Waltham . MA 02451-1468 . USA
Tel: +1.781.684.2305
Email: rsc...@rs.com
Web: www.rocketsoftware.com