On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 20:25:40 -0500, Micheal Butz wrote:

>That is exactly right if you are running an ISPF program e.g. One that used DM
>services
>It's best to be in problem state while issuing the DM service
>
>Being in supervisor whine issuing DM services causes problems

I would hope that anyone who codes a program to issue DM services and
links it AC=1 into an authorized library would take suitable steps to ensure
system integrity.

>> On Mar 3, 2014, at 8:06 PM, Walt Farrell wrote:
>>> I have no idea why APF authorized library and link edit with AC=1 alone
>>> don't suffice.
>>
>> In part because, depending on what the APF-authorized program does, it can
>> be dangerous to allow it to run under TSO, or dangerous to allow it to run
>> with certain forms of parameter list.

Aha!  The difference between a JCL-style PARM and the CPPL.  But I see there's
an AUTHCMD section of IKJTSOxx to take care of that.  I see little need for
AUTHPGM.
But ...

>> And, I think, in part for performance. If a program is not in the table then
>> the TMP does not need to figure out whether the program is in an
>> APF-authorized library and linked AC(1), it can simply invoke it using
>> ATTACH or LINK, without needing to setup the special protections needed for
>> running APF-authorized programs under TSO.

Nearly pointless.  There are numerous ways to waste resources without APF
authorization.

>> And in part for function, since a program invoked in the method required for
>> APF-authorized programs is in some ways limited in what it can do (it can't
>> interact with ISPF, for example, without special coding in the program).

In which case, it simply fails.  Does this threaten system integrity?  See my
first
remark above.  I can't imagine why someone would APF-authorize a program
which interacts with ISPF without such "special coding".

-- gil