Skip Robinson wrote:
Blessed are the pessimists, for they shall take backups. ;-)

OTOH nothing scares me more than the prospect of depending on stand-alone
restore to IPL the enterprise.
<snip>

Why it happened is a story I'll share at SCIDS, but having once had to do this in the middle of the night (for real, not a DR test), I can tell you that, while it is a bit scary, it actually does work! I'll add that after getting the call and then driving into work in the small hours of the morning, there is real comfort in having that DFSMSdss VERIFY keyword for the standalone version of the RESTORE command too. It's nice to *know* you're restoring to the right volume, and not over production data, when you're short on sleep and high on tension.

Of course, accessible listings of dump tape volume serials and of the device numbers and volume serials of volumes required to IPL in the first place are essential. What scared *me* the most was not having those at hand, as they were supposed to be. This was probably why I kept a list and a set of labeled dump tapes in my desk...just in case.

--
John Eells
z/OS Technical Marketing