John Deere, in the 70s had two separate power companies provide
their "non-interruptible power" for their mainframes, but the
DP manager was not able to also add a diesel powered backup
because the only vendor with the sufficient engine to meet
their power needs used ONLY a Caterpillar diesel engine.
After the fourth failure in a couple of years, the DP manager
finally won approval from senior company management to install
a diesel powered backup, but ONLY because it was housed in
a lockee Deere-shed so no one would see there was a Yellow
diesel engine inside.

Or so I was told.

Barry

Herbert W. "Barry" Merrill, PhD
President-Programmer
MXG Software
Merrill Consultants
10717 Cromwell Drive
Dallas, TX 75229
ba...@mxg.com

http://www.mxg.com - FAQ has Most Answers
ad...@mxg.com      - invoices/PO/Payment
supp...@mxg.com    - technical
tel: 214 351 1966  - expect slow reply, use email
fax: 214 350 3694  - prefer email, still works