Well, there's one thing that scared me even more:  finding you need
stand-alone restore to get the enterprise system up and finding you
don't have a functional S-A  tape to IPL.  Didn't happen to us, but I
remember several decades ago hand-carrying our S-A dss and DSF tapes
across town to another data center to help them (successfully) get their
system back.   Makes one think about your own procedures:  Starting
keeping multiple copies of our most current S-A IPL tapes at that point
with one set off-site.

S-A restore should be a last resort to recover from an IPL failure
(having a functional alternate system from which repairs can be made is
much quicker and more useful), but S-A restore is still an essential
part of last line of defense.  Saved our tails on at least several
occasions over the course of 30 years.  As John points out, for S-A
restore obviously one must at a minimum also have external documentation
of critical device addresses and volsers.  As an extension of that and
part of our nightly DR backup we started producing nightly VTOC listings
of all production drives (saved on workstations, not printed), which
provided some useful tracking of physical location of long-term data sets.
    Joel C. Ewing

--
Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org