On 05/31/2015 09:32 AM, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:
> In <555fe63d.3010...@acm.org>, on 05/22/2015
>    at 09:30 PM, Joel Ewing <jcew...@acm.org> said:
>
>> But from APPENDIX A in TSO/E Customization, any command invoked
>> directly from the TMP that returns a non-0 return code causes the
>> TMP to end."
>
> If true, then "10.2  Writing error routines" in the CLIST manual is in
> error, Has anybody tried
>
>  ERROR +
>     DO
>        WRITE SEND retu7rned cc &LASTCC
>        RETURN
>     END
>  SEND 'message' USER(FOO) NOW
>
> where the SEND gets a nonzero RC?

The above CLIST code should presumably work as you expect for
intercepting SEND CLIST "errors" in an Interactive TSO/E, ISPF
environment where TSO is invoked via a TSO logon PROC as IKJEFT01 and
not as IKJEFT1A or IKJEFT1B.  I think the usage of IKJEFT1A/IKJEFT1B is
only possible (certainly only reasonable) in batch TSO, and this was the
context for our discussion with IBM.  The TSO/E CLISTS manual appears to
be written from the standpoint of an Interactive TSO environment where
there is an associated terminal user, which admittedly is the more
common environment for CLIST usage and the environment that has the
fullest capability.

If you look at the referenced TSO/E/Customization Appendix A, you will
find that it explicitly deals with executing the TSO TMP in background
-- i.e. Batch TSO, not interactie TSO.  The rules for batch TSO are
peculiar to that environment -- as obviously you can't expect to do
things from a CLIST in batch TSO that require dynamic decisions by an
interactive user.

The CLIST manual is not in error, just perhaps incomplete in not
explicitly mentioning all limitations when running in a batch TSO
environment or under IKJEFT1A or IKJEFT1B  One could however rationalize
that Since this is not really a limitation of CLISTs but of a specific
TSO/E environment in which it runs, that it makes more sense for the
TSO/E Customization manual and TSO/E User's Manual to lay out this and
other Batch-TSO limitations (which they do) since they are the manuals
that describe how to run TSO in batch, and I suspect they are also the
only manuals that discuss how to use the IKJEFT1A and IKJEFT1B TSO/E
entry points.

I cannot recall years later the historical reason why we started using
IKJEFT1A/IKJEFT1B for Batch TSO rather than IKJEFT01, only that at the
time it seemed like the "logical thing to do".  It didn't bite us until
years later when we migrated to TSO user log files for terminal messages
because of our usage of SEND under a ClIST under batch TSO under
IKJEFJ1A.  From our experience, I'm certain The CLIST ERROR handling
code in the above example would never be reached if the CLIST were
directly executed under IKJEFT1A in batch TSO.

--
Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org