On Fri, 15 May 2015 15:48:15 -0400, John Eells  wrote:

>> Why was this ever designed as a global repository rather than per-addressee?
><snip>
>
>We'd probably need a time machine to even ask why.
>
>But as Skip pointed out, disk and memory were absurdly expensive at the
>time by today's standards.  Also, when TSO (before the /E) was first
>designed I'd think messages were few and far between.  Certainly most
>systems initially had mere handsful of users, and the number grew slowly
>at first.  ...

Likewise, the tracks were smaller.  So allocating a 1-track message
data set for each of a handful of users hardly seems profligate.

>(Anyone remember terminal rooms, and waiting for your turn?)

Indeed.  And I regard that as an enabling factor in the prohibition,
now onerous, of multiple concurrent sessions per user.  (Hardly
anyone could afford two terminals; why support it in the architecture?)
It's as if roads once designed for horses had never been upgraded for
automobiles.

>That the first design lasted as long as it did before it had to be
>extended is, in my view, quite a tribute to the original designer!  It's
>source of continuing amazement to me just how durable many of the early
>design decisions were, and continue to be now.

But your recent remarks about the constraints imposed by PDS(E)
architecture contribute to my perception that OS/360 was designed
from a 16-bit point of view.  It's now suffering growing pains.

-- gil