On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 8:20 AM, Jorge Garcia <jgarc...@mapfre.com> wrote:

> Hello Bart:
>
>  Yes. Our target is to do dynamic activation in the new systems. We've
> seen in the Redbook HCD and Dynamic I/O reconfiguration it's not possible
> if you don't share the iodf user catalog. It's mandatory has the same HLQ
> in all systems and the only way is share a user catalog like you say. We'll
> create a new iodf user catalog in a volume used in all systems and with the
> same HLQ. With this configuration we'll be able to do dynamic activacion in
> all sysplex.
>
> Regards

There are ways around the shared catalog "requirement".

​What is actually required to do a dynamic activate is that the token in
the active IODF in the system matches​ the token in the HSA. The HSA values
were, at least initially, loaded from the IOCDS on the SE during a POR.
Given that the IODF is just a VSAM LDS, you could do a number of things.
The simplest is to make the IODF high level qualifer be 'SYS1'. There is
special code in DFSMSdfp which allows you to catalog a VSAM data set which
has an HLQ of SYS1 into multiple "master" catalogs. So you could create
your IODF on a shared DASD volume with the HLQ of SYS1. and then do a
DEFINE ... RECATALOG in all the other systems' master catalog(s).

Another way would be to create the initial IODF as you normally do. The use
IDCAMS to REPRO that IODF to a sequential data set on shared DASD. You can
the do a DEFINE to create a new VSAM LDS with _any_ name you like on any
other system. You then REPRO the data from the sequential unload into the
new IODF data sets. You IPL the new z/OS image using this new IODF. You
could then modify the IODF on that 2nd system, creating a new IODF, and do
a dynamic ACTIVATE on the 2nd system. Of course, you need to copy the data
back the other way.

The SYS1 method is the better of the two. The problem with sharing, in your
case, is the fact that not all the systems are in the same sysplex. This
makes sharing "dangerous" if you don't take _extreme_ care. IMO, in this
case, you'd need to put your IODF on a shared, non-SMS, volume and not
convert specific QNAME based RESERVEs to SYSTEMS level ENQs. Or you'd need
to use CA-MIM and put every system into the same MIMPLEX. This is also a
bit "hairy" to do properly.

As Shmuel indicated: Been There. Done That. Got The Scars.

--
Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

My sister opened a computer store in Hawaii. She sells C shells down by the
seashore.
If someone tell you that nothing is impossible:
Ask him to dribble a football.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown