On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 14:09:59 -0500, Bill Godfrey wrote:

>>Although today the z/OS V2.2 publications are not available on Knowledge
>>Center,
>>they will be very soon. The individual books are available as PDFs here:
>>http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/z/os/zos/library/bkserv/v2r2pdf/ .
>>
>>However, if you are like me, you want to have all the z/OS V2.2 PDFs handy. As
>>you might have heard me say, I'm a heavy PDF user nowadays :). Well, the newly
>>zipped up file of all the z/OS V2.2 books is available! Go to the IBM
>>Publications Center (
>>http://www-05.ibm.com/e-business/linkweb/publications/servlet/pbi.wss  ). The
>>key piece of information you'll need is the publication number for the "ZIP of
>>7/28 IBM z/OS V2R2 PDF Documentation". That publication number is SC27-8430;
>>search on this number. Right now, it's at the -00 level for this zip.
>>-Marna
>
>To answer Marna's question about the index files in the "zOS V2R2 PDFs July
>2015" directory, they are used by Adobe Acrobat.
>
>In Windows Explorer if you click on the "zOS V2R2 PDFs July 2015.pdx" file in
>the parent directory of the one containing the index files, an Acrobat search
>window will open.
>
>The button named "in the index named zOS V2R2 PDFs July 2015.pdx" should be
>already checked.
>
>Type something in the search box (fwfriendly for example) and press enter or
>click on "search".
>
>For "fwfriendly" it listed 9 documents. I clicked on one to see all the places
>that the word occurs in the document. Then clicked on one of those to see the
>whole page.

Pretty neat.  Fits on (4% of) a 32GB flash drive.  And cross-document
hyperlinks work.

But Windows warns me:

    Security Warning

        The operation you are trying to perform potentially requires read access
        to your drives.  Do you want to allow this operation?
            (Allow) (Block)

Sheesh!  Why do they feel they must do that!?  And is it portable?  (I'll find
out
when I get home.)  It says "drives", not "files".

And irritatingly, if I close the document page, the Search window goes away, and
I must re-launch Reader to go to another document.  Silly design.

-- gil