Al,
I had been running Adobe Reader XI (11.0.12).  But, I just downloaded Adobe
Reader DC  to try that (and level 2015.008.20082).

I verified I had a directory called "zOS V2R2 PDFs July 2015" which contains
the 3 index files, in the same directory that the file "zOS V2R2 PDFs July
2015.pdx" was found.  That's the way the zip came, and I didn't change it.

...and drum roll...it worked!  Now, I'm off and searching like a happy camper.
I'm going to update my blog with this advice, and now that I know that those
indexes are useful, I'll be using PDF for searching the books rather than that
other interface that cannot-be-spoken :).

Thanks for your help on pointing me in this direction.
-Marna WALLE
z/OS System Installation, IBM Poughkeepsie