From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tony Harminc
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2015 8:19 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Create zIIP workload

On 23 October 2015 at 10:12, Leonardo Vaz <leonardo....@cn.ca> wrote:
> I could not find documentation on how to create an enclave SRB that would
> make use of the zIIP processor.
> Is this documented anywhere?

As Bob said, it's available to ISVs. If you can convince IBM that you are one
(perhaps CN sells software, even if it's not your main business. Heh - Ruby on
Rails...?) then maybe they'll tell you.

Start here for the ISV route:
http://dtsc.dfw.ibm.com/MVSDS/'HTTPD2.PT217.HTML(INDEX)'

If you want to not be an ISV and still get the info, you'd have to take it up
with, as Timothy Sipples is fond of saying, "your friendly IBM representative",
by which I assume he means your IBM sales person.
How "friendly" he or she will be when you want to reduce the amount you pay IBM
by moving cycles to a cheaper CPU, I don't know. Maybe if you can convince them
that you will otherwise move the workload onto a non-IBM system... I have no
knowledge of the IBM rules in practice, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

IBM also has rules (published following the Neon Systems legal action a few
years ago) that describe what workloads IBM allows to be run on the various
kinds of processors:
http://www-947.ibm.com/systems/support/machine_warranties/machine_code/aut.html
And, like Facebook, they get to change the rules any time they want.

Even ISVs with access to the means of dispatching work on a zIIP have to
conform to these rules. So if what you propose to run on your zIIP doesn't
conform in the first place, I can't imagine there's any way they'll tell you
how.

And don't forget the one documented and supported way to get your own program
to run on a zAAP/zIIP: write it in Java.

Good luck.

Tony H.