IBM's big issue with Neon zPrime was because it allowed people to run work from other vendors on zIIPs.

If you (as a licensed vendor) have authorization to run your code on zIIPs, and another vendor gives you a letter saying 'Yes, you can call my software from a zIIP', then again IBM is not concerned. Now, the chances of you getting that letter from the 'other guy' which charges a flat fee, is fairly good, but the chance of you getting that letter from someone like Adabas or CA which charge based on MSUs is 'slim to none'.

On the reverse side, if your software running on a zIIP calls Adabas, and you don't have a letter of agreement from them, IBM will use it's big boot to make sure you stop. That was the Neon zPrime issue.

Tony Thigpen