I am involved as a vendor of software for the VSE market, and as a vendor of systems programming services and also outsourcing for z/OS, z/VM and z/VSE.

Some of our vendor products have to be coded to run on both Integrated Servers and FSI Flex boxes because we still have customers running VSE on those boxes. These customers purchased the one-time fee ESL licenses and can't upgrade without significant budget issues. Yet, they keep up to date on the maintenance of their vendor products. So, they are pro-active and install our updates while stuck running a non-supported VSE level.

So, the question is not just:
> Are there any customers (prospects if you will) running box X and
> *conceivably* in the market for new mainframe software (as opposed
> to "we're not spending another nickel on that thing"

But, also:
"Are any of my customers still running the old hardware and still paying maintenance fees."

If yes to either question, then the vendor has to worry about the instructions used by the code and either not use the newer instructions unless they multi-path the code.

Tony Thigpen