On 19 November 2015 at 18:19, Connor Krukosky <conn...@connorsdomain.com> wrote:
> Doh, should have included these photos.
> http://imgur.com/a/C6zsx
> I'm sure you all will enjoy them. And yes he got those HUGE DASDs as-well,
> can't wait to hear one of those spin up :)

Those HUGE DASDs are 3380s, I believe, with the sideways belt
drive.Yeah, they're a little louder than a laptop drive. But no
worries; you don't really hear them over the background A/C noise.

I don't know about 3380s, but earlier IBM DASD often required 3-phase
power, even though the motors were themselves single-phase. Not
impossible for a dedicated hobbyist, but a bit of a pain.

Tony H.