I listed *two* potentially relevant test questions, the first of them more
or less the one you suggest. :-)

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Tony Thigpen
Sent: Thursday, November 19, 2015 5:50 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Earlier than a z9?

I am involved as a vendor of software for the VSE market, and as a vendor of
systems programming services and also outsourcing for z/OS, z/VM and z/VSE.

Some of our vendor products have to be coded to run on both Integrated
Servers and FSI Flex boxes because we still have customers running VSE on
those boxes. These customers purchased the one-time fee ESL licenses and
can't upgrade without significant budget issues. Yet, they keep up to date
on the maintenance of their vendor products. So, they are pro-active and
install our updates while stuck running a non-supported VSE level.

So, the question is not just:
 > Are there any customers (prospects if you will) running box X and  >
*conceivably* in the market for new mainframe software (as opposed  > to
"we're not spending another nickel on that thing"

But, also:
"Are any of my customers still running the old hardware and still paying
maintenance fees."

If yes to either question, then the vendor has to worry about the
instructions used by the code and either not use the newer instructions
unless they multi-path the code.

Tony Thigpen

Charles Mills wrote on 11/19/2015 08:19 PM:
> Like us, Phil is a vendor. For a vendor, the relevant questions are
> not "do any of these things exist somewhere and powered on?" but
> rather
>
> - Are any of our customers running box X? (Should be a question that
> can be answer by better means than this listserve.)
> - Are there any customers (prospects if you will) running box X and
> *conceivably* in the market for new mainframe software (as opposed to
> "we're not spending another nickel on that thing" or hobbyists like Mr.
Krukosky).