On Sun, 22 Nov 2015 16:19:09 +0100, Leopold Strauss wrote:

>Quite simple.
>
>In unix-shell there ar prowerfull tools for going through a list,
>creating the apprpriate commands etc.
>
>In TSO there are not.
>
>And because I am very experienced in Unix ( althouigh lot of
>zOS-knowledge), I prefer Unix-shell and -tools

I heartily agree.  Mr. Natural sez, "Use the right tool for the job."
Recently there was thread here about deleting all members of
a PDS.  One suggestion used LISTDS, DFSORT, and IDCAMS.
I was aghast at its complexity.  Here's a simpler alternative using
UNIX-shell and utilities (with comments, even):

rexx "/* List members of data set.  */; \
address TSO 'LISTDS TEMP.CLIST MEMBERS'" |

# Skip to   --MEMBERS-- header.
    sed '1,/--MEMBERS--/d

# Prefix IDCAMS DELETE command; append ")"
    s/^ */  DELETE user.TEMP.CLIST(/
    s/$/)/
    ' | {

# generate JCL for IDCAMS step.
    echo "\
//STEP     EXEC PGM=IDCAMS
//SYSPRINT  DD  SYSOUT=(,)
//SYSIN     DD *"

# Append member list in SYSIN;
# Optimize performance by sorting in descending order.
    sort -r;  }

>On 19.11.2015 16:48, Peter Hunkeler wrote:
>> I'm curious to understand whay you want to run this rexx as a shell script
>> as oposed to a simple batch tso step.
>>
>> I don't see the benefit, only drawbacks

-- gil