On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 13:46:32 -0600, Peter Ten Eyck wrote:

>It was mentioned in this thread that GRS could have been modified
>to change the scope of the enqueue on the LPAR that the dataset
>was not being used on by making it local. Therefore no longer
>considered in use by GRS. I did not try this, but wonder if this was
>done for a dataset that was already enqueued if this would work...
>thoughts?

No. According to "Changing the RNL" in "MVS Planning: Global Resource
Serialization", "If a job currently holds one or more of the affected
resources,
the change is delayed until that job frees any affected resources."

Otherwise, you could have a confused state. A job in CPU A issues an ENQ on
resource X with SCOPE=SYSTEMS (plural). Both CPU A and CPU B have resource
X as enqueued.

Now, if CPU A were to change the exclusion list to include resource X, when
CPU A issues the DEQ, it behave as if it was SCOPE=SYSTEM (singular) and
would not propagate the DEQ to CPU B, and the resource would still appear
to be held there.

--
Tom Marchant