(Replying to my own post.) I looked more into the history BronzePlex. I think
the first published definition was in 2002's Redbook "Merging Systems into a
Sysplex" (SG24-6818-00). At one end is Platinum: everything that can be shared
is actually shared. At the other end is Bronze (see below). Gold is somewhere
in the middle. It's pretty clear that this distinction derived from IBM's
crackdown on shops that were benefitting from sysplex pricing but did not
qualify to the letter of the law: each qualifying CEC must host a portion of a
single parallel sysplex such that each CEC's portion uses more than 50% of that
CEC's CPU resources. There can be other mono- or parallel sysplexes in the
configuration, but one parallel sysplex must dominate every CEC.

In addition to the CPU test, the shop must certify that some parallel sysplex
function(s) are actually in use. GRS star is one candidate. Another is DB2 data
sharing. Also JES checkpoint in CF--not just a common JESplex. You didn't need
all, but you needed (I think) at least one. Up to 2007 we had been informally
grandfathered by virtue of early adoption in the mid-90s. Then the hammer came
down. We brought out the power tools and bolted together two sysplexes that
individually could meet the test. BronzePlex is no longer needed here, but it
persists till now for economic reasons. The obverse side of the same old coin.

"1.2.1 BronzePlex
"Some customers will want to move systems that are completely unrelated into a
sysplex simply to get the benefits of PSLC or WLC "charging. In this case,
there will be practically no sharing between the incoming system and the other
systems in the target sysplex. This "is a typical outsourcing configuration,
where the sysplex consists of systems from different customers, and there is no
sharing of anything "(except the minimal sharing required to be part of a
sysplex) between the systems. We have used the term “BronzePlex” to describe
this "type of sysplex."

.
.
.