On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Jesse 1 Robinson <jesse1.robin...@sce.com>
wrote:

> I think that the problem with writing to *any* data set on whatever medium
> is that it cannot be read while it's open for output. It seems that the log
> file must be written to sysout (for concurrent examination) and then
> captured to a data set after it's closed.

​If, by "data set", you mean a normal z/OS DSN=, that is true. But if you
write to a z/OS UNIX file (PATH=), it is not. A UNIX file can be read by a
separate process while is it still open & being written to. I guess this is
because the physical I/O to the UNIX file is actually done by the z/OS UNIX
kernel address space, or a filesystem colony address space. So the data
producer and consumer are really sending requests to the UNIX subsystem,
much like SPOOL I/O.​

--
Klein bottle for rent -- inquire within.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown