On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 2:08 PM, Jesse 1 Robinson <jesse1.robin...@sce.com>
wrote:

> My first reaction was to respond acerbically that file integrity never
> quite made the UNIX afterthought list, but that would have been unkind, so
> I won't. But if it works, it might be worth a try. It's not customer data
> anyway...

​Yes, UNIX is designed around the concept that the "user" is knowledgeable
about what they are doing.​ Very much unlike today's general users (and
some Windows programmers) who think that the system should not "hurt" them
regardless of what they do. IMO, my gun, my ammo and if I want to shot
myself, that's my business not the gun's. I guess you'd shudder to know
that I occasionally truncate a UNIX file which is being written into by
another process. An extreme way to release allocated space within a
filesystem. But it saved me from needing to recycle a critical task. And
the output was generally just some informational data that I could live
without.

 J.O.Skip Robinson

--
Klein bottle for rent -- inquire within.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown