From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of David Cole
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2016 4:43 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: LOOKAT gone? - Doc Buddy? Seriously?

>There is a phone app called IBM Doc buddy. Try it, you might like it.

Tried it. Don't much like it at all!

Ok, I've just now downloaded and installed Doc Buddy (Android version). And the
best I can say about it is, whoever designed the UI really didn't put much
effort into it. I mean seriously, doesn't IBM put these things out for real
world testing first? Then do they even listen to the feedback???

#1) So I installed the app, and of course the very first thing I did was type
in some message ids. Nothing too esoteric. just basic ancient stuff like, I
don't know, do you think it'd be able to find IEF450I??? Nope... ASMA033I?
Nope... Anything? Nope nope nopity nope!

#2) It turns out you then have to download... I don't know what IBM calls
them... I'll just call them "message sets". These are organized by component.
But there's no mention of this, no startup tips, tricks or just general
heads-up is put in front of you.. Nothing. You install the app, and you're on
your own. [Pro-tip: Go to the "Component" page.]

#3) So once you've figured you need to download the message definitions, the
next thing you need to know is to which component a particular message belongs.
Quick... does anybody know what IEF540I belongs to? 'Cause  apparently I don't.
I've downloaded a bunch, and while other messages are now findable, the IEF
messages aren't. (At least not yet.)

#4) Maybe that message set hasn't downloaded yet. It's hard to tell because
there is no status display. The individual messages sets are hidden in
dropdowns that have the very annoying habit of going back into hiding on you
rather quickly...

#5) And that's another thing. The components list keeps jumping around on you
because dropdowns that you've opened up spontaneously close causing the page to
jump up, jump down, jump whatever. Come on guys! Can't you stabilize a display
long enough for somebody to touch a button????

#6) Oh and the msgid entry field... So you've got your keyboard open and you're
typing away, and you decide to clear the entire field. But when you do so,
Boom! the keyboard disappears on you. Why????

#7) Googling a msgid turns out to be just plain easier.

I have not tried very many IBM apps, but so far every one I've tried feels like
it's been written by amateurs!

My kid grandson can do better than this!

Ok, I've got the IEFxxx messages now. They were where they belonged, it just
took a long time for the z/OS MVS messages set to download.
Good thing I've got a nice fat pipe.

But I still don't have the ASMAxxx messages yet. They're apparently not in the
z/OS MVS component, and I don't see an HLASM component available. Really?

Dave Cole
ColeSoft Marketing
414 Third Street, NE
Charlottesville, VA 22902