This is actually very valuable feedback - thanks! I forwarded it on to the Doc Buddy team. (I did happen to also see your snark apology, so I paraphrased your comments. ;-) )

Here's what I sent. If there's anything any of you want added to it, let me know...

A customer recently posted some comments on IBM Doc Buddy on the IBM-MAIN listserv. I've paraphrased them here and added some suggestions for actions:

It's not at all obvious that users need to download message sets before they'll get a result from a search. (Per the customer: "there's no mention of this, no startup tips, tricks or just general heads-up is put in front of you.. Nothing. You install the app, and you're on your own." Action: Add something that directs users to download the message sets that they need before trying to search. Perhaps, instead of opening the app to the search page, it opens to a page that lists the downloaded message sets, at least when first opened? Or, perhaps better and simpler... many apps have "welcome to the app" pages that first display, and users can select to turn them off. Such a page could prove very useful here to mention that users need to first download message sets.

It's difficult to know which component to download for certain messages. There's no way to tell which component contains which messages. Action: Make it more obvious which messages are included in which components so that users know which components to download. Perhaps have two views of the message sets: Component name and message ID prefixes. Or maybe have a "more information" option for each component name in the list (both the "Components" and "Management" lists) that lists all include message ID prefixes.

It's hard to tell if a message set has finished downloading because there's no status display. Action: Add in some sort of status meter that identifies how much of a component has downloaded, or at least that it's still downloading and when it's finished. (Oh, I now see exactly this in the "More" section after a search - please apply it everywhere!)

Per the customer: "The individual messages sets are hidden in dropdowns that [go] back into hiding on you rather quickly..." I'm not sure what he means here. There's apparently a drop-down that doesn't display long enough.

Per the customer: "The components list keeps jumping around on you because dropdowns that you've opened up spontaneously close causing the page to jump up, jump down, jump whatever." I haven't personally noticed this, but apparently it's a problem on some installations. This is probably related to the previous item. Action: Ensure that, when a user expands a component, it stays expanded until closed by the user.

The keyboard disappears whenever text is cleared from the search field. This looks like a quirk or a bug to me. The keyboard should remain open and the cursor remain in the search box even if all text is cleared. Action: Keep the keyboard open and the cursor placed in the search box even if all text is cleared.