To promote System Z to cloud providers, I suggest IBM reach an
agreement for a free used starter system (something they are getting
back from orders for new systems).  Z12 / used DASD / ficon controller
/ zLinux / etc.  Start out with 2 cores then once you are running
their systems ramp it up to a full drawer.  Show how much work it can
do with much less power and space.

Include a heavily overloaded example, because open systems at maximum
load tend to crash, throwing their load onto other systems, which then
reach max and crash, eventually taking the whole site down.  Whereas
mainframe systems tend to add delay to transactions but everything
keeps running.  Slow but running.

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 2:42 AM, Peter Hunkeler <p...@gmx.ch> wrote:

>>Perfect!  I couldn't have ranted better myself.  I'm hoping your note
> will end up being read and understood by IBM decision-makers.  I want my
> MVS (to the tune of Dire Straits of course).
>

> I can only second this!
>

> <more rant/>
> Problem is that today's so called decision-makers will never understand. They
> are not able to think beyond the next end-of-quarter.
>

> I am convinced that two things are due to let the mainframe have a future:
> o give freaks a free z-platform to play with z/OS, zVM, z/VSE.
> o stop off-shoring, out-sourcing and all those stupid knowledge-destroying
> activities.
>
> This leads to the requirement to get a new generation on management who again
> thinks for the best of the company instead of for the best of their bonus and
> so called salary.
>

> </more rant>
>

> --
> Peter Hunkeler