On 2017-02-06, at 08:29, John McKown wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2017 at 8:45 AM, Edward Gould <edgould1...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, I wonder how much  IBM and user code is going to have to change to
>> allow this?

I suppose it depends on whether your installation exploits the feature.

DSN prefix?  SUBMIT?  OUTPUT?  (I'd prefer to see SUBMIT modified to
relax the F80 limit.)

> ​Very true. I know of a lot of control block which look something like:
>
> USERID   DS 0CL8
> USERIDL  DS FL1
> USERIDV  DS CL7​

Why in that order rather than the reverse?

All in all, it's underreaching to break compatibility for a
15% increase.  While 8 is a pervasive enterprise convention,
many OSes (Linux? OS X? (I just succeeded with 32)) allow far
more.  Better to allow a long login name to map to a short UID.

-- gil