On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 2:18 PM, Ron Thomas <ron5...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We finally decided to move the files to Z/OS unix , we plan to create a
> monthly folder to which we push all the files from linux VM. Once the file
> is there we will move back to GDG's . I have a query here , is there any
> job which i can use to clean up the files in the z/os unix folder . Please
> share if any one has the details on this .

​With what criteria? I have my UNIX syslog daemon files going into the
/var/log directory. Each day, a new file is generated (more on that later,
if you're interested). I only want to keep the last 7 days. So, every day
at 01:00 (a.m. local time), I have the cron daemon run the following
command:

find /var/log -mtime +7 | xargs rm -v # remove files more that 7 days old

The stuff after the # is a comment since # is the shell's "begin comment"
character, much like C/C++'s // ​

You can run this using cron, as I do. Or you can set up a batch job which
runs BPXBATCH do to the same thing and schedule it via something like CA-7.

//RMFILES EXEC PGM=BPXBATCH,REGION=0M,
// PARM='find /var/log -mtime +7 | xargs rm -v'
//STDOUT DD SYSOUT=*
//STDIN DD *
/*
//*

​Of course, you must run the job using a RACF id which has the appropriate
UNIX authority to unlink (the proper UNIX term instead of "delete") the
file​. This could be "root" (bad idea), or the RACF id of the "owner" of
the file(s), or a RACF id with the proper UNIXPRIV profile access, per
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.2.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r2.bpxb200/usspriv.htm

If you want to copy each file to a separate GDG and delete it once that it
done, it is more difficult because "cp" does not support creating a new GDG
(+1) entry. There are "clever" ways to do it, but "clever" ways are often
"rickety".

> Regards
> Ron T

"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is
ancient. It's called 'rain'." -- Michael McClary, in alt.fusion

Maranatha! <><
John McKown