Turner Cheryl L wrote:
I was hoping you'd chime in John (and I appreciate the responses from Skip,
Lizette and EdG, as well).  Since I am the person that does the maintenance and
OS upgrades now, I was taking it upon myself to be a bit proactive (or creating
busy work?) and looking at the EREP reports for potential problems where there
may be PTFs available but maybe we just didn't have them on at the time due to
our maintenance windows.  We are still in the process of fine tuning which
reports to generate and we are unloading the reports to GDGs .

So I will summarize the advice as this:  Look at them, as you have time.
Decide if any of them are a true problem or something worth investigating
further, check out IBMLINK and/or look for a way to fix it. Open a PMR to
IBM/vendor if really unsure.

But I still can't get my head around, why cut 100's of symptom/software records
a day at all for a particular problem, if we're just going to ignore them -
abend or not. But I'll try to let that not keep me awake at night.

Well, I think we likely don't know whether they are truly problems or not, so we cut the records so we have first failure data capture for an actual problem. Back when first we started to do that, there were probably only a few of these records a day. But systems...well..."got bigger and faster."

I'd suggest getting familiar with what's out there, as a side research project, and then deciding for yourself whether there is preventive value in spending time on things like this. There might be, if you find unusual records or patterns of activity, but doing this by IEB-EYEBALL takes an awful lot of time so post-processing them is probably a better way to do that. The value in doing the research at all is in being able to skip over things you don't care about when you have to look at the data to try to find a problem.

Likewise, you will find that if you clear out the list of dumps to be suppressed that many of the dumps that result won't be worth pursuing. (RTM, in particular, was or is often a victim.)

Anyway, that's my opinion.

--
John Eells
IBM Poughkeepsie