On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 23:56:47 -0500, Edward Gould wrote:

>Our auditors would hop all over me and my management if we ever did something
>like what you are talking about. One time I got a fix for one of our MF
>products and I had to get the Presidents personal OK for me to upload it to
>the MF. It was an *EXTREMELY* important fix. The auditor sat with me while I
>explained to the President how I got the fix and how I was going to upload it
>to the MF. The auditor grilled me like there was his job on the line (mine was
>more likely the case). The auditor asked every blankety blank detail on how I
>learned about the fix and the product that was involved the fix number and how
>I d/l’d it. How was I going to get it to the MF and on and on. I felt like I
>was guilty for even asking for it. I asked him in the future did he want to
>get involved and micromanage every fix and he said *YES*. The President said
>well we have a solution. I *Never* want to go through that again. He did not
>blink when I asked him if Tape was OK and he said sure as long as the package
>is sealed from the vendor to us.

What if you need it within hours?  Well, the express services can be very
prompt,
on a graduated price scale.  Or a courier pouch on a private jet, for even
higher
cost.

>IOW we are going to be majorly hurt if IBM decided to drop tape.

I'd be inclined to trust the SHA-1 checksum transmitted via an independent
verifiable conduit more than a heat-sealed polyethylene sleeve on a 3480
cartridge.
SMP/E will verify the checksum and Do No Evil.

<SOAPBOX> All the risk with email, www, USB, arises from clients that
automatically
execute programs embedded in documents or support cross-site scripting.  The
defense should be clients which unconditionally, not optionally, refuse to open
attachments.  Does CURL satisfy this? </SOAPBOX>

-- gil