> On Oct 12, 2017, at 3:59 PM, Paul Gilmartin
> <0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu
> <mailto:0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>> wrote:

>>> I'd be inclined to trust the SHA-1 checksum transmitted via an independent
>>> verifiable conduit more than a heat-sealed polyethylene sleeve on a 3480
>>> cartridge.
>>> SMP/E will verify the checksum and Do No Evil.
>>>
>> I have asked the auditor and he seems happy with a plastic sealed envelope
>> that is handled by signatures.
>>
> "signatures"?  Do you mean you expect Ginni to pick up a Sharpie and
> sign the plastic sleeve?
>
> I believe John Eels at SHARE Denver predicted the demise of tape as an
> interchange vehicle.  In part because the media are no longer being
> manufactured.
>
> A customer asked, "Then might it be permissible to return used tapes to IBM
> for re-use?"
>
> "No."
>
>> Like I said I was always happy with a 3480/3420 tape. I suspect that if
>> someone is going to intercept a tape they are reasonably advanced
>> counterfiting team.
>>
> Since in the near future no one will be able to create a tape, it follows
> logically
> that no one will be able to counterfeit one.
>
> You need to get a different auditor; one who is comfortable with the fact
> that in the 21st Century enterprises widely use the Internet to transfer
> busiess-critical data.
That is not going to happen anytime soon. BTW I like the auditor as he is
reasonable when it come time for Z/os but NOT for the INTERNET.
He has defended me several times for various items. He is reasonably young in
his 40’s. I keep telling him not to pay attention to the horror stories and he
comes right back with another horror story.
Rightly or wrongly he has convinced upper management not to allow any INTERNET
connection to the MF.
Today I had a chance to talk with him about this issue and he got really upset
about it. I tried to calm him down but he is convinced he has to take this to
upper management. I am trying to restrain him but once he gets a whiff of
someone/something on the Internet is going to infect the MF, I can’t do
anything with him except to calm him down.
I have repeatedly told him his stories are false and there has *NEVER* been a
case of a virus hitting the MF. (I haven’t told him about the Christmas “virus”
yet).
Ed