On 13 October 2017 at 18:47, Phil Smith III <li...@akphs.com> wrote:

> Anyone know if Sterling Forest still has 3420s? Last time I was there
> (2004?) they did, and even a 7-track drive IIRC.

Also in 2004 I was surprised to see a short string of 3420 drives, all
powered up and lights on, at one of our UK banking customers. I asked,
and it seems they were used only for data exchange. A nightly courier
would arrive from each of the other big banks with tapes, and be
dispatched with the ones from this bank. I had a vision, perhaps not
inaccurate, of each bank having such a dusty set of drives used only
for the same purpose.

Maybe someone at a UK bank can tell us if that scheme survives today...

Tony H.