Thanks to all who have responded - it looks like we are going to at least
try the Git solution.

In all my past placements as a sysprog, 'change control' or something like
it has been part of the job, along with the associated 'royal pain' as
Seymour rightly describes it.

In this particular instance, I'm a 'team of one' looking after 2
mainframe-based z/OS's, and 3 more and a z/Linux running under z/VM on a
z-PDT rig.

Because I'm on my own, the idea of a formal, external change control system
has never come up before, but the powers that be are beginning to look over
their collective shoulder and recognising the fact that I am rapidly
approaching retirement age.

Strangely enough, having to start using a change control system again after
all this time almost has a sense of 'coming home' associated with it.

Sean