From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Peter Relson
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2018 8:19 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Adding 90 seconds to 8 byte TOD FIELD

>        L    R15,16                      GET CVT ADDRESS
>        L    R15,X'8C'(R15)              GET ECVT ADDRESS
>        L    R15,X'384'(R15)              GET ECVTXTSW ADDRESS
>        LA    R1,=A(*+10)                  PARAMTER LIST

Macros such as IHAPSA, CVT, and IHAECVT are provided for a reason -- so that
you don't need to hard-code offsets and in so doing make your code less
readable and less maintainable.

Why do you avoid them?  z/OS macros themselves might hard-code offsets
because we don't necessarily want to impose a requirement on the invoker
that they include other macros. But if you're writing your own code, you
should insist on imposing that requirement on yourself.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design

to lists...@listserv.ua.edu <mailto:lists...@listserv.ua.edu>  with the
message: INFO IBM-MAIN