Just a few thoughts from my vast (well, half-vast) SMP/E experience

Always receive HOLDDATA before doing anything - it may alert you to previously
received fixes that are now marked PE (PROGRAM IN ERROR)
Holddata can also inform you of previously-PE ptf that are now resolved

The REPORT ERRSYSMODS COMMAQND IS YOUR FRIEND

Accept the base (fmid) - never ACCEPT a ptf until/unless you are damned sure
you will never need to remove it (that could mean NEVER )
After EVERY smp/e modification, backup (dfdss/favr/whatever) your entire smp/e
environment - and keep many many generations - you can use these to do an end
run around the need to RESTORE

How far back do you need to go in a restore - until you are clean or pre-and
co-requisite PTFs (could be many iterations)

If all else fails, start over with a new CSI

Chris Hoelscher
Technology Architect, Database Infrastructure Services
Technology Solution Services
Humana Inc.
123 East Main Street
Louisville, KY 40202