> It would set the long-term model for the
> mainframe, instead of being stuck with
> 24/31-bit software for eternity.

32 bit mode would have been a good idea in the initial S/360 design, and IMHO
its lack was a serious blunder. Shoehorning it into the existing software at
this point in time would be a kludge and a short term one at that. The long
term model is 64 bits unless memory and DASD prices go down drastically.

> I don't agree. Existing applications can be
> modified to be 32-bit clean

Only if the never use storage above the line for parameters.

> I don't agree that all new applications should
> be 64 bit. That is overkill. 32-bit/4 GiB should
> be enough for almost all commercial applications.

31 bit/2 GiB should be enough for almost all commercial applications. Those
that need more will need lots more, and it is a pipe dream to believe that
doubling the size of the address space will be enough for long.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

It would set the long-term model for the
mainframe, instead of being stuck with
24/31-bit software for eternity.

>This would be of zero use for existing applications,

I don't agree. Existing applications can be
modified to be 32-bit clean and have maximum
possible address space as per 32-bit.

> and new applications should simply use 64 bit.

I don't agree that all new applications should
be 64 bit. That is overkill. 32-bit/4 GiB should
be enough for almost all commercial applications.

BFN. Paul.