>Not to hijack the thread, but... I thought ServerPac already
>automatically adds 20% (25?) free space, but I could be wrong.  In any
>case, how much free space should be allocated by ServerPac?  I saw 50%
>mentioned.  Is that enough?  Should it be the same for every data set,
>or just the three you mention?  Is it possible to get any kind of
>consensus on this topic?

I am with Carmen on this one. Per company policy I apply ptfs twice a year.
Every time at least 3 libraries die B37 or D37, and I just hate the wasted time
to enlarge them. All of this after I already enlarged a lot of the original
serverpac definitions - and definitely *all* linklist data sets - by 50%,
including directory space.
Yes, they're inactive, so easily renamed, but in addition I have to put up with
incomplete SMS-Definitions, on reallocation SMS forces them to be SMS-managed,
so I have to delete, reallocate with HLQ sys1, then copy, then rename the sys1
to what it was before. Or wait at least a day to get the SMS defs done
correctly.
Yes, I am running with compress.

In my opinion every linklist data set should have 50% more primary (no
secondary) space and 50% more directory space to begin with. Preferably *every*
data set should have the 50% spare, especially given the wasted space for all
the zFSs (think font libraries!) Or there should be a ++hold telling you to
increase the size *before* you do the actual apply, especially for the obscure,
seldom touched small libraries.

Barbara