On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 7:01 AM Peter Relson <rel...@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> <snip>
> Curious. I have a "WHOHAS" which shows SYSDSN enqueues on a DSN. On both a
> z/OS 1.12 and 2.3 system, it shows:
>
> sys1.miglib,
> OWNERS=      2 ,WAIT EXCLUSIVE=        ,WAIT SHARED=,
> JOBNAME=XCFAS  ,TYPE=OWNER  ,USE=SHARED,
> JOBNAME=LLA    ,TYPE=OWNER  ,USE=SHARED,
> </snip>
>
> And your curiosity is? Perhaps "why XCFAS?" That is how LNKLST processing
> has worked since 1992 when dynamic LNKLST was implemented. It has been
> mentioned multiple times over the years. The ENQs are obtained
> specifically so that someone doing something properly (such as a compress
> of a LNKLST data set with DISP=OLD, or a delete) will not be able to get
> through and damage the system (we cannot stop someone who does compress of
> a LNKLST data set with DISP=SHR from damaging the system). XCFAS happened
> to be a convenient full-function never-terminating address space in which
> to obtain the ENQ.

The "curious" was you saying there was no need to stop LLA. But LLA also
has the SYSDSN enqueue. The OP was saying that he couldn't do the rename
due to the SYSDSN enqueue. So I was saying that the SETPROG UNALLOCATE had
to be done, and also a STOP LLA. Your sentence above my comment was "There
would have been no reason to stop LLA." Given that the OP did not have &
said he could not get the RACF profile set up which allows renaming an
enqueued dataset. That's why I was curious about why you said "no reason to
stop LLA". Sometimes my phraseology is insufficient.

> Peter Relson
> z/OS Core Technology Design

This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough
hunchbacks.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown