From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of George Haddad
Sent: Friday, June 09, 2006 03:12 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Tape Modeset for 3480 XF

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I'm trying to write to a 3480 cart using TAPE MODESET (XF. The TAPE QUERY command confirms that the drive is capable of writing mode XF. But whatever I do, the data is apparently being written as 38k bpi, according to both the UofK TAPEMAP and Rich Greenberg's TAPINFO Modules.

I've tried issuing TAPE MODESET (XF, writing a VOL1 hdr with the (XF option, issuing a MODESET then doing a TAPE DUMP (XF w/o a label, but in each case the utils report that my density is 38k, not XF.

The carts I'm using are Imation Royal Guard 210MB. Are these not capable of the higher density? I thought this was a function of the drives, not the media.

What am I missing here?