From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Alan Altmark
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 4:55 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Inconsistent XEDIT Logical Not

On Friday, 07/07/2006 at 01:54 EST, "Don W." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm having a problem figuring out why the xedit logical not symbol works
on
> some systems and not on others. Any idea why this would occur and how I
> would set it up to work properly? From what I read in the XEDIT manuals,
it
> should still work by default.

Because the host code page configured on the various the emulator sessions
are different.  What CMS really wants is 0x5F, without regard to how it
looks.  So, you have to type the character that generates 0x5F.  In code
page 37, that's the Logical Not symbol that we know and love.  But in most
other code pages (e.g. 1047, 924, 500), it is the caret (hat).

If your keyboard has been remapped to generate Logical Not when you press
Shift-6, then it will be the wrong code point if you have code page that
has the caret assigned to 0x5F.  It will look ok, but a HEXTYPE or VERIFY
HEX will reveal the actual code point.  (In the other code pages, the
Logical Not is typically 0xBA.)

And let me second Mr. Pace: The best bet is to learn to use <> or /=
digraphs.  They will be correct in all code pages and will survive your
average FTP.

If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender,
delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain or
redistribute it. Click here for important additional terms relating to this
e-mail.     http://www.ml.com/email_terms/