Hello Alan,

        Thanks for the pointers.

No messages on the operator console.

The VM SA TAPE with ICKDSF and DDR ipl without problems.

This is the Q ALLOC

q alloc page
            EXTENT EXTENT  TOTAL  PAGES   HIGH    %
VOLID  RDEV  START    END  PAGES IN USE   PAGE USED
------ ---- ------ ------ ------ ------ ------ ----
430RES 0792    257    390  24120    767    829   3%
430W03 075C   1802   1901  18000    240    250   1%
                          ------ ------        ----
SUMMARY                    42120   1007          2%
USABLE                     42120   1007          2%
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 10:37:16

        I always put a user of $page$ in my directory with the
page/direct/spool/tdisk/etc in them to help check for overlays.

        DISKMAP does not show overlaps but I will check more.

        I am sure that the complete volumes were CP FORMAT way back when
we
setup the system.

        I have asked the other system guy about the last test of the
VSE SA tape.  NOT SURE when it worked last.

        I am thinking that they tested it before jumping to the z890 but
I need to verify.

        Finally,  (you will like this)  I am getting errors on the
VSE/ESA side from the EMC dasd.  EMC has indicated these are erroneous
errors coming from a smoke detector sensor in the box that have never
worked on this model of EMC.  We are migrating to new DASD.

Ed Martin
Aultman Health Foundation
330-588-4723
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ext. 40441

On
> Behalf Of Alan Altmark
> Sent: Thursday, July 20, 2006 5:26 PM
> To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
> Subject: Re: HCPCLS174E using VSE SA util tape
>
> On Thursday, 07/20/2006 at 03:06 AST, "Edward M. Martin"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >       We have a z890.  z/VM 4.3  and VSE/ESA 2.6.1
> >
> >       We attempting to IPL from the VSE SA utility tape (under z/VM)
> > I get
>
> > HCP174E   Paging I/O error; IPL
> failed
> >
> > Can anyone shield some light on this problem?
> >
> >       The z/VM SA DSF/DDR tape works fine.
>
> Ed, when you issue the IPL command, CP places the "IPL simulator" into
> your virtual machine.  Well, before he does that he has to save the
> original memory contents of the affected pages so they can be restored
> after the IPL command has done its job.
>
> My guess is that your paging volumes have not been entirely CP
formatted,
> yet are allocated as PAGE.  Or, if you're sharing the volume with
> minidisks, you have an overlap or have not CP formatted the entire
> minidisk.  Or the volume is going bad (unlikely).  In any case, CP's
I/Os