I think that the biggest reason for keeping it in a DCSS is that it is important code that you really don't want the casual user to muck around with. How many problems have we all had to dig into only to find out that there is a private copy of the XYZ EXEC on the user's a-disk that gets used instead of the one that you've got out on a common disk. Maybe it would be worthwhile to attempt to categorize execs in INSTSEG by frequency or likelihood of usage, putting the seldom used ones all together so that they will be in the page likely to be paged out. Even that, tho, given the price and quantity of real storage kind of falls into the category of bit twiddling. Do a cost benefit analysis and you'll probably find that even the cost in your time of the analysis vs. the benefit of not having three, 4k blocks of SYSPROF exec in the INSTSEG, isn't there, let alone the real cost of the storage the exec takes.

This is similiar to what a marketing rep I used to work with said when he would talk about the "grief to earnings" ratio of something.
Jim

At 05:36 PM 8/5/2006, you wrote:
> But do you really want to bother with the effort of removing it? It
> would be a local mod to remove it, no big deal, but nonetheless ...

Well...
Way back when, I took a bunch of my heaviest local routines
and put them IN the INSTSEG.
So, once I set up the mod, I took SYSPROF out at the same time.

I understand from your response that the problem was
that everyone in the organization would be using SYSPROF
*at the same time*. I guess that would make a difference.

Shimon

Jim Bohnsack
Cornell Univ.
(607) 255-1760