From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of David Boyes
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 2:50 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: z/VM 5.2 Dumps

Most obvious reason is that 5.2 now dumps more than 2G. 4.4 only dumped
the 1st 2G regardless of how much real storage was there.

David Boyes
Sine Nomine Associates

On
> Behalf Of Schuh, Richard
> Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 2:31 PM
> To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
> Subject: z/VM 5.2 Dumps
>
> IIRC, there was a discussion, either at SHARE or in this forum,  in
which
> it was stated that dumps of z/VM 5.2 would not be significantly larger

> than those from what were then the current systems (mine was 4.4).
Would
> somebody like to recant? Our dumps are much, much larger. When I used
> VMARC to compress a 5.2 dump, it is reduced to approximately 18% of
its
> former size. That compressed dump is larger than the uncompressed
dumps I
> used to get from 4.4. Same h/w, same everything except for VM CP.
>
> Regards,
> Richard Schuh

If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender,
delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain or
redistribute it. Click here for important additional terms relating to this
e-mail.     http://www.ml.com/email_terms/