On Wednesday, 08/09/2006 at 02:28 EST, Alan Ackerman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm not sure whether the TCP/IP stack maintains state or not,

It doesn't.

> Just providing SHUTDOWN support for the TCP/IP stack isn't enough,
either,
> it would have to pass this along to its guests. (What does TCP/IP do
when
> it gets a CP EXT?) Maybe it's just simpler to have each guest register
for
> the shutdown signal itself?

There is no way to pass the "shutting down" signal to C/IUCV/REXX/PIPE
socket applications.

The one thing the TCPIP server perhaps *should* do upon getting a shutdown
signal is to turn off the listening port monitor.  That would allow the
apps to do what needs to be done on a case-by-case basis.  No automatic CP
EXT since that could interfere with a "transaction".  I would find it
highly annoying to have an app close its listening socket, just to have
the stack force/autolog it.  I'm taking this one under advisement.