On Wednesday, 08/09/2006 at 02:14 AST, David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that this may have all been fixed
> in new releases, but every one of those things is a guaranteed level 3
> support call that'll haul you (or someone you have to face every day)
> out of bed at 2 AM. Wouldn't it be simpler to just prevent them in a way
> that would avoid the problem entirely?

In a perfect world with infinite resources, I would propose that we add
real shutdown support to all the subsystems.  Just because it *might*
prevent a problem.  But we don't have infinite resources, so we pick and
choose.  This doesn't make the cut.  Sorry.

> ??? How does this *increase* complexity, and for whom? If CP SEND TCPIP
> #CP EXT does what we want it to do, how does causing SIGNAL TCPIP
> SHUTDOWN to do the same thing make that any worse? It certainly
> *decreases* complexity for the user -- no "use SIGNAL xxxx SHUTDOWN to
> stop everything, except for these things which use XXXXX, and these
> which use YYYYY, and these ones over here which don't have any shutdown
> command...".

If a CP SHUTDOWN hangs while a bunch of servers are doing unneeded
activity, it's a waste of our time and yours.

> Isn't that what we're doing here? RSCS is a task running in a GCS-based
> OS. CMS MT is arguably a single user OS. Etc.

LOL!  You made my day.  Sure, they're both single-user operating systems,
but neither exhibits properties that require shutdown.  This *must* be
true because there is no CMS or GCS shutdown command!  :-)  The
applications, OTOH, *may* have those properties.