On 9/11/06, Dusha, Cecelia Ms. WHS/ITMD <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Are you saying the MDC READS - 142/SEC could be driving the page space used
to 55%?  The paging rate itself is 1/SEC...  We added 2 paging volumes to
ensure the system does not run out of paging space.

I'm not sure he implied that, but it is certainly true. With the
default MDC settings CP is often too agressive in using MDC that it
actually causes paging to occur. Paging with 2000 per second is quite
impressive with just a single page pack... Maybe on your previous
system your backup was held back more than it did not cause MDC to
grow that fast.
You'd want to know what portion of real memory was used by MDC when
you were paging that much. A performance monitor allows you to review
various metrics during the event to understand what happened. Going
from z/VM 3.1 to z/VM 5.1 is a giant step, and most likely even more
changed at the same time. It's very hard to do this right with just a
few CP commands after the thing happened.

Our production system is a guest system under z/VM 5.1.  I don't know if
this would matter in the explanation as to why the system had a 55% paging
space utilization...

That's probably a wise thing to do. BTW did someone steal a cylinder
from you? ;-)

--
Rob van der Heij
Velocity Software, Inc