Or, she is following a long-standing practice to not allocate paging on
cylinder zero.
In ancient times, there were problems (perhaps lost in the mists of time)
with VM using cylinder 0 on a real DASD.  I vaguely remember problems
related to allocation bit map when paging in cyl 0.

I still reserve cylinder 0 on every DASD as PERM space and specifically do
not allocate any MDISKs, CP area, etc. thereon.
One cylinder per disk is really inexpensive compared to a (very unlikely,
but 100% avoidable) system outage.

Wearing both belts and suspenders in this case,

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"Brian Nielsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
09/11/2006 02:34 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: z/VM 5.1 Paging

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 18:07:22 +0200, Rob van der Heij
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>BTW did someone steal a cylinder from you? ;-)

Her second level guest is using a minidisk that doesn't include real
cylinder zero.

Brian Nielsen

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents
may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected
from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please
immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message,
including any attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of
the contents of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient
is strictly prohibited.