OK, I an certifiably confused.  Or: "Insufficient Data".
To cut/paste:
---<snip>---
Our production system is a guest system under z/VM 5.1.  I don't know if
this would matter in the explanation as to why the system had a 55% paging
space utilization...
q alloc page
                EXTENT     EXTENT  TOTAL  PAGES   HIGH    %
VOLID  RDEV      START        END  PAGES IN USE   PAGE USED
------ ---- ---------- ---------- ------ ------ ------ ----
510PAG F005          1       3338 600840 333053 443499  55%
PAG002 F008          1       3337 600660      0      0   0%
PAG003 F00A          1       3337 600660      0      0   0%
                                  ------ ------        ----
SUMMARY                            1760K 333053         18%
USABLE                             1760K 333053         18%
Ready; T=0.01/0.01 09:15:12
---<snip>---

Cecelia,
Do you mean that the QUERY ALLOC PAGE was issued from your 510 1st-level
system, and you are concerned about the volume:
                EXTENT     EXTENT  TOTAL  PAGES   HIGH    %
VOLID  RDEV      START        END  PAGES IN USE   PAGE USED
------ ---- ---------- ---------- ------ ------ ------ ----
510PAG F005          1       3338 600840 333053 443499  55%

Or do you mean that you are concerned about the complete lack of paging on
PAG002 and PAG003?

If the command was issued on the 1st level system, and PAG002 and PAG003
are attached to the 2nd level system, then why are they showing up on the
1st level system?

Can you share with us
1) which DASD are expected to be used by which system?
2) the "CP_OWNED" statements that have those three volsers (510PAG,
PAG002, and PAG003) on both  the 1st and 2nd level systems (if they appear
in both).
3) The lines from the reply to "CP QUERY CPOWNED" for those three DASD on
both the 1st and 2nd level systems.

Thanks.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"Rob van der Heij" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
09/11/2006 03:39 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: z/VM 5.1 Paging

On 9/11/06, Mike Walter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Or, she is following a long-standing practice to not allocate paging on
> cylinder zero.

Sure, I'm find with not using cylinder 0. But this one looked strange to
me.

VOLID  RDEV      START        END  PAGES IN USE   PAGE USED
------ ---- ---------- ---------- ------ ------ ------ ----
510PAG F005          1       3338 600840 333053 443499  55%
PAG002 F008          1       3337 600660      0      0   0%

I certainly had not read in her post that this was a 2nd level system.
That makes for a completely different ball park.

Rob

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents
may contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected
from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please
immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail and then delete this message,
including any attachments. Any dissemination, distribution or other use of
the contents of this message by anyone other than the intended recipient
is strictly prohibited.